Our Select Results in Employment and Injury Cases
Cases on Appeal
* Hallak v Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (3rd District). Appeal from granted summary judgment in favor of the defendant, dismissing disability discrimination case.
* Contreras v United Airlines (3rd District). Appeal from granted summary judgment in favor of the defendant, dismissing disability discrimination and wrongful termination claims.
Successfully defending an employer - restaurant in a racial discrimination case. Defense arbitration award plus costs in employer's favor.
$425k award to a co-founder of a start-up in a breach of contract / interference claim (arbitration).
$283k arbitration verdict to a software company employee in an FMLA violation and retaliation case. (Santa Clara County)
$125k settlement in a trip-and-fall case against a construction contractor. Plaintiff tripped and fell on a trench not properly covered by the Defendants during repaving. Plaintiff suffered shoulder fracture. (San Francisco County).
$90,000 DLSE award to an employee for unpaid overtime and unpaid rests and meal breaks. Includes penalties. (Alameda County)
$100,000 pre- trial settlement to a victim of assault and battery (Marin County). Plaintiff was punched and had his nose broken.
$175,000 settlement in a pregnancy discrimination case (San Francisco).
$280,000 jury verdict in a slip-and-fall case against the landlord of the apartment building (Alameda County);
$175,000.00 mediation settlement to an nurse in a failure to accommodate a disability case. (Contra Costa County).
$24,650.00 DLSE aware for unpaid overtime to a restaurant waiter (Alameda County).
Policy limits settlement to a bicyclist, who was sideswiped by inattentive driver downtown San Francisco, suffering a disc herniation and knee injury.
$125,000.00 binding arbitration award in a slip and fall case. Plaintiff suffered ankle fracture when going up the stairway that was negligently maintained by a property management company (Sacramento County).
$141,000.00 arbitration award in a Labor Code 970 / misrepresentation claim to an employee who was induced to move to San Mateo to start a job, and whose job offer was revoked shortly after for no legitimate reason. (AAA Arbitration / San Mateo County)
* $187,500 arbitration award in FMLA retaliation case to a top sales manager at a local retail chain (San Francisco County).
* 37,500 settlement in a dispute liability slip-and-fall claim at a grocery store (Alameda County).
* $125,000.00 settlement in a retaliation case to a registered nurse who was demoted after complaining about patients safety violations (Contra Costa County)
*46,500.00 settlement in an unpaid overtime claim to a swim coach of a country club who was wrongfully classified as an exempt, salaried employee.
* $316,000.00 arbitration award to a mechanic of a car dealership in a South Bay who was terminated in retaliation for complaining about safety violations after working at the same dealership for 16 years (Santa Clara County).
* $137,500 - an award by a Labor Commissioner (Oakland Office) to a maintenance employee for unpaid overtime, interest, and penalties. The claimant was ordered not to claim more than 8 hours of work per day, despite working much longer on many days in violation of California labor code. The employer was issued a citations and was ordered to implement a new clocking system, which tracks employees' actual hours of work.
* $225,000.00 award by a Labor Commissioner in an unpaid overtime claim to a junior IT administrator who was misclassified as an independent contractor (San Mateo County).
* $137,500 - an award by a Labor Commissioner (Oakland Office) to a maintenance employee for unpaid overtime. The claimant was ordered not to claim more than 8 hours of work per day, despite working much longer on many days in violation of California labor code. The employer was issued a citations and was ordered to implement a new clocking system, which tracks employees' actual hours of work.
* $110,000.00 award by a Labor Commissioner in an unpaid overtime claim to a junior IT administrator who was misclassified as an independent contractor (San Mateo County).
* Policy limits settlement to a motorcyclist who suffered a concussion and wrist fracture when he was sideswiped by a drunk driver (San Francisco County).
* Unconditional reinstatement and back pay in the amount of $220,000.00 to a registered nurse who was falsely accused of incorrectly filling out medical charts and incompetence by a major public hospital.
*$195,000 settlement to a former employee of John Muir Hospital in a wrongful termination and disability discrimination case.
* A victory at the second level appeal of denial of unemployment benefits to a client who was terminated for performance issues resulting from his injury and disability, and who was wrongfully denied unemployment benefits. The claimant is expected to received over $8,000 in unpaid unemployment benefits retroactively from the date of his termination.
$125,000.00 mediation settlement in injury case arising out of a rear-end accident, aggravating herniated disc injury from a previous car accident.
$66,000.00 award by the Labor Commissioner on a failure to pay overtime to an employee who was misclassified as an independent contractor.
*$285,000.00 arbitration award in breach of contract, fraud and negligent misrepresentation to a commercial investment representative of a medium size firm in South Bay.
* $100,00.00 policy limits settlement to a motorcyclist who was sideswiped by a negligent driver, and who suffered severe concussion and neck injury, and who was unconscious for several minutes as a result of the impact at the scene of the accident in San Francisco.
* $88,000.00 settlement to an employee in a failure to a Modesto City Schools employee in a failure to accommodate disability case.
*$185,000.00 settlement and withdrawal of AWOL (absent without leave notice) to a State Employee who was terminated while on extended disability leave.
* Job reinstatement with seniority briding to a technician of a major nationwide telecommunications company who was terminated while on extended disability leave in connection with a traumatic off-the-job injury.
* $25,000.00 settlement to Solano County employee (FMLA interference).
January - February 2013
* Confidential settlement and job reinstatement in a gender discrimination case against a San Francisco based social media company.
* 85,000.00 award in an overtime claim to an inside sales representative of industrial office equipment (binding arbitration; Merced County).
November - 2012
*$115,000 settlement and full reinstatement to a professor at a private college who was wrongfully terminated before returning to work from approved FMLA leave.
September - October 2012
* $100,000.00 UM policy limits demand in a motor-vehicle accident involving upper back and neck injury as well as whiplash.
* $25,000.000 settlement in an employment dispute against a major coffee chain
* $72,500.00 settlement of an overtime compensation claim at the Deparment of Labor (Contra Costa County).
* Reversal of the denial of unempoyment benefits and a $6,400.00 overpayment at the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Boar
July - August 2012
* 2-year pay severance to an older employee of a medium size marketing company in South Bay.
* Full backpay and reinstatement to an airline mechanic who was retaliated for complaining about a safety violation.
* $145,000 settlement to a registered nurse of a Sacramento hospital on a challenging claim for whistleblower retlaiation and FMLA interference.
* $30,000 mediation settlement to a driller in a disability discrimination case; Solano County Sup. Court.
February - May 2012
* $125,000 - pre-arbitration settlement to an IT engineer who was misclassified and treated as a contractor when he was likely an employee.
* $89,000 - pre-trial settlement an age discrimination case arising out of discriminatory lay-off of a marketing manager.
* $175,000 - early mediation settlement to a registered nurse in a disabiltiy discrimination claim.
* $165,000 pre-arbitration settlement in an age discrimination case against a medium size marketing company in South Bay.
* A salary in the amount of one year compensation plus medical benefits is negotiated to a terminated IT employee of a major bank ($175,000)
* UM Policy Limits settlement to a victim of a sideswipe collision in Contra Costa County.
*$75,000 settlement - to a pedestrian who was hit by a vehicle, suffering elbow fracture and rib injury (San Francisco County).
*$175,000.00 mediation settlement against a car dealership in East Bay to a victim of a sexual and gender discrimination and harassment.
*$227,500 arbitration award to a former Bank VP on a retaliatory demotion and harassment claim; Sacramento County. Motions for costs and attorneys fees is pending.
* Policy limits settlement to a pedestrian who has suffered mild injuries when she was hit while in a crosswalk (San Francisco County).
*$75,000 settlement to a custodian at a Santa Clara County school district (failure to accommodate disability and failure to engage in interactiv process claims).
* $160,000 settlement to a claimant and his wife who suffered traumatic injury in part due to his own fault and in part due to the the fault of the vehicle's owner (negligent entrustment, negligence, and loss of consortium claims).
* Denial of unemployment benefits overturned to an employee who was mistakenly considered "unavailable for work" by the EDD. Claimant received a retroactive payment of unemployment benefits for the past five months subsequent to appeal of the wrongful denial.
*$185,000 arbitration award to a sales person of a software company who was wrongfully accused of falsifying invoices and terminated in retaliation for complaining to human resources about not being paid overtime.
* $125,000 settlement to in a disability discrimination and failure to accommodate claim against public entity in East Bay.
*$195,000.000 settlement in a disability discrimination case following mandatory arbitration to a top performing care salesman of a dealership in Mari County.
*$125,000 mediation settlement in an injury case involving fracture and multiple disk protrusions to a driver for a two-door sports sedan in San Mateo County.
* Verdict following Bench Trial in the amount of $225,000.00 on a breach of contract to a
commissioned sales employee of a mid-sized technology company. Santa Clara County Sup. Ct.
* $100,000 stipulated judgement to a tenant who fell through the defective deck at his rented unit.